Serves 4 entrees or 8 appetizers
- 32 large (12 to 15 count) tiger prawns,in the shell, deveined
- 3 to 4 limes, zested and juiced, test for bitterness or sweetness before adding the extra lime
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red or green jalapeno chile peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 small cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed Mexican oregano
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Place the prawns and lime zest in a large, non-metallic bowl. Place the lime juice, chile pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano and onion in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth with 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil as more if needed to facilitate blending. Pour over the bowl of prawns, and stir to coat. Cover, and refrigerate for 1/ 2 to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat. Thread prawns onto skewers, piercing each first through the tail, and then the head.
- Brush grill grate with oil. Cook prawns for 5 minutes, turning once, or until opaque.
*Note: Prawns can be cooked in the shell whole or with out the shells. If cooking with out shells cut back on marinating time and cooking times.