- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled & chopped
- 3 green onions/scallions, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. cottage cheese
- 5 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Additional unsalted butter, softened, for coating the miniature muffin cups
- 16 oz. pkg. frozen filo or phyllo dough, thawed per package instructions
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
2 Tbsp. canola oil
* In a medium frying pan, heat 2 tsp. of the canola oil. In it, sauté the chopped yellow & green onions for 3 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and cool a little while preparing the filling.
* Make the Spinach Filling.
In a medium bowl, whisk egg. Stir in cottage cheese, feta cheese, chopped spinach, salt and pepper until mixture is evenly blended. Fold in the onion mixture.
* Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using additional softened butter, coat each cup of a 24-cup miniature muffin pan. You can coat them with cooking oil spray, but the butter not only adds flavor, it browns them nicely.
* Remove the phyllo dough from its package and stack up. Using sharp kitchen shears or scissors, cut the dough into 2×2-inch squares. Cover with a clean kitchen towel so that the dough does not dry out
* In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter and the 2 tablespoons of canola together to be used for brushing the phyllo dough layers.
* Place 2 squares of phyllo dough into each buttered miniature muffin cup pushing down to create a cup or crust. Brush the tops to coat with the butter & oil mixture. Repeat with 2 squares of phyllo dough into each well pushing down to create a cup or crust and brushing with the butter & oil mixture again. Repeat with the final 3rd layer of 2 squares of phyllo dough and brush with more melted butter.
* Into each phyllo lined miniature muffin cup, spoon a heaping teaspoon of the filling. Cups should be filled to the top with the filling.
* Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden.
* Serve hot or warm. Spanakopitas reheat well.