- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 x 2 lbs bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- 5 oz cold smoked salmon slices
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche (see tip)
- 1 large, ripe avocado, sliced
- chives and dill for garnish
Combine cranberries, capers, honey, vinegar, garlic, oil and salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until warm. Let stand for 15 minutes to allow the cranberries to soften.
Blanch asparagus in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for about 2 minutes or until bright green; drain. Immediately place asparagus in a bowl of iced water. Let stand about 10 minutes or until cool; drain. Return asparagus to same bowl. Add cranberry dresing and toss to combine.
Arrange asparagus on 4 serving plates and drizzle with dressing. Top with smoked salmon, some creme fraiche, avocado, more creme fraiche and smoked salmon. Garnish with chives and dill if desired.
Tip: If creme fraiche isn’t available, you can substitute sour cream.
*Spring, coho and sockeye salmon, with their higher fat content, have the best flavour when smoked.